A Report by the Bahrain Center for Human Rights (BCHR) produced in cooperation with the Gulf Centre for Human Rights (GCHR) with support from the European Union
This report was written and researched by the Bahrain Center for Human Rights (BCHR) in cooperation with the Gulf Centre for Human Rights (GCHR) through a project funded by the European Union to address torture and accountability in the Gulf region.
The report presents some cases and testimonies documented by BCHR and several partners.
Most of the information included in this report has already been published by investigations, news, and reports on this matter. BCHR backed its research with documents that included:
- United Nations human rights texts, treaties and conventions, and bodies’ reports; monitoring human rights situation in Bahrain, especially the Committee against Torture (CAT).
- Reports published by local and international partners.
- Official state reports.
- The report of the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry (BICI).
- Documentation, photos, and video recordings, whether they were publicly posted on the internet or in the possession of BCHR.
- Interviews with torture survivors and witnesses.
It is important though to draw attention to the fact that this was not easy whatsoever to interview survivors of torture because the majority refused to speak out of fear of retaliation. Therefore, BCHR decided to keep the identities of some survivors anonymous unless they gave permission.